What do I need?
5 GCSEs at grade C/5 or above, including English Language and a minimum of a 6 in Mathematics. An A or A* in Biology or Additional Science is strongly recommended, with a B grade being the minimum requirement.
Why Study A Level Biology?
Interested in heart disease? Curious about tropical cells? Want to know where all your energy comes from? Do you enjoy a challenge and want to sharpen your investigative skills and be successfully prepared for either university or a career in science? If the answer is yes, then A Level Biology is the course for you.
What will I study?
• Biological Molecules
• Organisms exchange substances with their environment
• Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms
• Energy transfers in and between organisms
• Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments
• Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems
• The control of gene expression
Where can the subject lead?
Biology opens up a number of opportunities covering careers in biomedicine, medicine, veterinary sciences, sports sciences, nutrition, teaching, botany, research (of many varieties) and many, many more.
“Biology is an enjoyable subject that covers a wide variety of studies from anatomy and physiology to disease, genetics and ecology and opens up many options when applying to university”